Sunday, April 17, 2011

Bite the bullet


I must admit, I am a lazy knitter. I get bored easily and switch from one project to the next without a thought about how much time and effort I have spent on the previous project. I have so many UFO's it's like a graveyard for them in my house. However, that being said, I have managed to complete one or two projects so far this year.

It's such a beautiful day here in Ellon, and my other half is out scuba diving for the day. Rather him than me, the water doesn't get much above 2°c in the North Sea. Anyhoo, I have decided to clear out my stash corner that was looking a little untidy to say the least. I have seperated out the acrylic from the good stuff, and am in the process of finding a home for it all. I have been on an embargo, but I can't help myself when I see something pretty. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and get on with it. The basket in the photo is approx. 3ft long x 16" wide and as you can see is quite full :)
I was talking to my friends and hubby the other night and got the evil eye from my hubby when I mentioned the stash problem. Of course I retorted that it wasn't anywhere near the amount that he spent on gadgets. I was totally flabbergasted when he replied, "Oh but I don't buy most of it, you do". Thinking about it, once I got over the initial shock, I realised that I have bought quite a number of his gadgets and gizmos over the years, so now I feel less guilty about buying things for me :)

Here are a two of my completed projects.


A little jumper for my daughter's friend. She has just had a baby boy and I thought it would be cute. It is made from Sirdar Crofter, and is quite nice to work with. I didn't like the fact that I had to keep winding off yarn to get a good stripe match though. I had four balls of this, and not one of them started in the same place for the colour change.




A hat for me, made from Rowan Lima. One serious point to note. Wash it well before wearing it. If you don't wash it and just pop it on. Make sure it isn't going to rain. This stuff stinks worse than a dead dog when it is wet and it also stretches. I made mine on needles that were 2 sizes smaller than required, and it stretched like the devil when it got wet. I ended up sticking it in the tumble dryer to felt it slightly. That being said, it is so soft, and a pleasure to work with.



No comments: